Saturday, January 21, 2017

Mental Roadblocks

So, I've been running into many blocks in my creative writing, but there's a form of writing I always come back to. It's a way of writing that I never have any serious blockages in my mental space. It's writing of something and someone bigger than myself. I'm a poet. Might as well accept that, stick to it, and not run from it. Maybe poetry is my calling, but sometimes I want to challenge myself and poetry hasn't been a challenge for me in many years. Maybe that's a good thing, though.

I have these ideas for amazing stories, but I never seem to finish them and I don't feel as attached to them as I do my poetry. I look at my prose like the most snobbish critic in the world. That's right - I'm my own worst critic.

I also seem to enjoy commentary as well, and though it is prose, I can write it all day because it's stuff that I'm actually dealing with. So, that's it. That's why I'm going to start this blog. It's going to be a blog of my commentary and poetry. Maybe I will challenge myself to write at least one poem or more each day, and post commentary that is relevant in my day-to-day life.

When it comes to my projects, I have the worst case of ADD, but I do enjoy poetry. It's at the core of my heart. I'm a Christian that struggles with serious mental illnesses, but I give all glory to the Father. Lord knows I'm not perfect. I struggle constantly with schizophrenia, depression and sin. But no matter how far I've fallen, He is there to pick me back up.

So yeah, this is the next frontier. I vow to become more consistent and craft a lot of wonderful poetry, for I am a poet. I will post my commentary as well. I want to keep this new venture interesting and fresh. Sure, I'll try to work on my other hobbies, but poetry has my heart.

-D.E. McLeod

No comments:

Post a Comment